With a reputation for leadership development excellence and rigorous research, the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL®) has partnered with pharmaceutical and biotech companies for decades to create solutions that serve as organizational levers of change. From Creative Collaboration, Strategy Implementation and Open Enrollment Programs to Assessments and Executive Coaching, our Global Pharmaceutical Leadership Solutions unlock leadership potential to enable you to accelerate your strategy and results.
The challenges facing pharmaceutical and biotech leaders are many. The “patent cliff,” shrinking R&D budgets and lackluster pipelines will likely prompt many more mergers and acquisitions and make innovation imperative. Globalization, as well, brings with it significant challenges at multiple levels — from marketing to regulatory. Changes in technology, government policy and consumer expectations are revolutionizing relationships with key stakeholders — payers, physicians and patients — and impacting operations in unforeseen ways.
CCL understands the leadership skills required to meet these and other challenges and drive performance. Through 40 years of research and real-world experience working with thousands of pharmaceutical leaders around the world, CCL designs and delivers the results you need.
CCL’s Global Pharmaceutical Leadership Solutions accelerate business results through leadership by targeting specific areas that serve as levers of change in the organization. These solutions include:
- Custom Pharmaceutical Leadership Solutions:
- Creative Collaboration Program – A 2 ½-day program for cross-functional or multidisciplinary teams (e.g., product launch teams) that aims to enhance the team’s collaborative ability to achieve strategic initiatives.
- Strategy Implementation Team Program – This 5-day program provides a framework for strategic leadership and addresses the core individual and team competencies of implementing strategic initiatives.
- Women’s Leadership Development Program – This 5-day program for director-level women addresses the unique challenges that women in leadership face as they progress in their careers and deal with issues of work-life integration and gender-related organizational challenges. It is holistic in its approach and encompasses participants’ personal lives along with their work lives throughout the program.
- Open Enrollment Programs – Great leaders are a magnet for top talent and create the culture of performance your organization needs to accelerate results. Grounded in ongoing research and 40 years of experience developing successful leaders, CCL’s open-enrollment programs target the real-world challenges unique to each level of leadership — whether you’re just starting out or running a global organization.
- Executive Coaching Solutions – As a leader, you know how important it is to keep improving your skills. Steeped in more than three decades of research and practical know-how, CCL’s leadership coaching can help you master new attitudes and behaviors — and achieve more than you ever imagined. Our individual, team and group-focused leadership coaching solutions can make a difference at all levels of the organization, from a first time manager to the CEO in any sector.
- Assessments – CCL pioneered the use of assessments and feedback in leadership development decades ago. Our expertise and state-of-the-art, research-based 360-degree assessment tools and customized services have earned the trust of thousands of HR professionals and consultants.
The Center for Creative Leadership (CCL®) is an educational institution engaged in a continuous and fruitful cycle of turning ideas into action and action into ideas. We teach from our research and learn from our teaching. We act on what we learn by developing new views of leadership, new assessment techniques, programs and strategies responding to the evolving challenges faced by leaders and their organizations.
We believe self-knowledge is the most important factor in the practice of leadership. Becoming more acutely aware of one’s strengths and weaknesses is a type of “unfreezing” that leads to accurately setting goals and taking action to improve. As a result, rather than teaching how to manage, analyze or strategize, we help leaders “learn how to learn” from colleagues, their organization and competition. Most importantly, we help leaders learn from their own experience.
Individuals rarely have the opportunity to receive extensive feedback in the workplace — to understand how others perceive them. The Center’s programs provide leaders with the time, tools and environment needed to gain a comprehensive and accurate view of themselves, and to set personal development goals and begin working toward them. In fact, CCL’s extensive use of assessment and honest, productive feedback is frequently cited as the most valuable part of our programs.
Typically, the Center’s leadership programs are built on the developmental model of Assessment, Challenge and Support. We combine 360-degree feedback, individual assessment and personalized attention in a safe, confidential environment designed to encourage candor, self-examination and experimentation with new behaviors vital to development. Participants are pushed to explore their strengths and identify their development needs in special activities, breakout sessions and simulations that replicate real-world challenges without the real-world consequence of failure. The result is creative exploration, insight and experiential learning that has time and again helped inspire executives and managers to revitalize and focus their organizations.
- Learning by doing. Most of us test new methods and develop new skills through experience. Consequently, effective training must provide executives with opportunities to try out what they learn, practice new skills, make mistakes and learn from them.
- Learning by receiving feedback. Learning is easier if there are others who are prepared to give constructive help. In CCL programs, for example, executives receive a constant flow of information about themselves and how they are doing. This takes the form of behavioral and psychological assessments, feedback from peers and observations from fellow executives and the staff.
- Learning through the process of change. Effective learning includes helping executives to expand, improve and develop their own skills. Through reflection of their learning experience, executives are encouraged to identify areas they would like to change and then develop realistic plans for self-development. Emphasis is placed on developing sensible, measurable goals and metrics to monitor achievement over time.
Forty years of experience with thousands of pharmaceutical and biotech leaders from more than 70 companies has given CCL a keen understanding of the complex challenges leaders in this industry face. We also understand the importance of effective leadership in setting direction and creating alignment and commitment in the midst of unprecedented change and uncertainty. Our targeted Global Pharmaceutical Leadership Solutions leverage the unique strength of CCL: an exclusive focus on leadership education and research and unparalleled expertise in solving the leadership challenges of individuals and organizations everywhere. We equip clients around the world with the skills and insight to achieve more than they thought possible through creative leadership — the capacity to think and act beyond the boundaries that limit effectiveness.
- Recognized expertise based on unparalleled experience working with senior leaders around the world to provide innovative learning solutions, with campuses in North America, Europe and Asia
- “Assessment for Development” practices enabling benchmarking of the leader population, including leader effectiveness assessments of tens of thousands of pharmaceutical leaders over the past decade alone
- The world’s largest confidential 360-degree assessment database
- Custom-created, values-based assessments and programs to address the needs of industry leaders
- History of exceptional research to inform our programs, such as our groundbreaking work on career derailers and our unique emphasis on women’s leadership challenges over time
- Reputation for business relevant publications on development in the workplace and on the job
- Collaborative working style with an emphasis on designing highly customized solutions
- Ranked as one of the world’s top 10 providers of executive education in BusinessWeek and Financial Times executive education surveys