Managing others requires new skills to handle new challenges. Maximizing Your Leadership Potential guides participants in making the shift from successful individual contributor to effective manager — one of the biggest and most difficult transitions for any leader. Understanding others, motivating others, and meeting the needs of diverse teams present new challenges and require new skills.
What Do Participants Learn?
As a result of attending this program, participants will acquire the ability to:
- Understand how their personality impacts their role as a member of a team.
- Align intention and impact to become more effective communicators.
- Formulate and deliver effective feedback, and manage conflict and resistance.
- Improve their ability to listen to understand.
- Use CCL’s Assessment-Challenge-Support™ model to increase the effectiveness of their performance and development conversations.
- Use a variety of influence styles to scale their impact.
- Use CCL’s Direction-Alignment-Commitment™ framework as a tool to help facilitate better conversations.
Who Should Attend?
Experienced managers and supervisors of individual contributors, and/or front-line managers who are preparing to advance to the next level.
What Challenges Are Addressed?
Maximizing Your Leadership Potential focuses on the different roles and mindsets of managing people and projects (player, coach, manager, and leader). Within that framework the program addresses the following skills:
- Developing Self-Awareness
- Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Performance Conversations
- Active Listening
- Coaching & Developing Others
- Influencing With and Without Authority
- Learning Agility
Why Choose CCL’s Maximizing Your Leadership Potential?
- Research-based content that focuses on the issues that matter most for front-line managers.
- Intense, personalized feedback and coaching.
- Interactive, hands-on format utilizes experiential learning to prepare participants to take action back at work.
- Coaching and take-home tools support newly enhanced skills of influencing, giving and receiving feedback, communicating, and facilitating effective performance and developmental conversations.
- At least 30 sessions offered each year around the globe.
What Will the Program Experience Include?
The program has a 3-phased approach:
Phase 1: Prepare
Prior to the face-to-face portion of the program experience, participants will complete a comprehensive suite of leadership assessments allowing Maximizing Your Leadership Potential to be tailored to participants’ needs. Pre-program assessments provide:
- Insights to broaden leadership perspective.
- A detailed picture of leadership strengths, behaviors & preferences.
- Clarity about development needs.
- A foundation for significant personal & professional growth.
Participants, plus selected direct reports, peers and superiors, will complete several web-based surveys, including a customized multi-rater assessment of 8 critical leadership competencies for front-line leaders. Participants will then receive their assessment data one-week before attending the program giving them time to absorb the data and come to the program prepared to use it in application.
Phase 2: Engage
The 2.5 day face-to-face classroom portion of the program experience enables participants to engage in experiential learning, deep discussion and discourse, just-in-time learning, and hands-on, repetitive practice so participants will build both confidence and competence in their new skillset. They will:
- Focus on a current, key leadership challenge to connect leadership lessons to real issues.
- Participate in experiential activities and practice sessions tailored to provide deeper learning.
- Receive feedback from expert coaches, faculty, and their classroom peers to provide deeper insights, suggestions and support.
Phase 3: Apply
After the Maximizing Your Leadership Potential program ends, participants apply & sustain their learning via ongoing support, including:
- Two 30-minute phone coaching sessions with a certified CCL coach.
- A “toolkit” of tools to aid in application of their learning back on the job.
- Access to CCL Compass™, a digital development tool designed to aid in achieving development goals identified in the program.
- Optional, fee-based learning & support (extended coaching engagements, additional eLearning packages) & custom initiatives to connect individual development to organizational needs.
Average Class size & Faculty/Participants ratio:
1 instructor : 14 participants
San Diego, CA
Additional program locations are offered through network associates.
*Scale-up option for companies wishing to send multiple managers or run the full program on-site.
Looking for a virtual program for frontline managers? Learn more
**Excluding VAT in Brussels, Belgium