3 Reasons "Open-Enrollment" Leadership Development Is a Strong Addition to Your Toolkit
Is your organization looking to boost retention and strengthen its leadership pipeline? Then don’t overlook the benefits of open-enrollment leadership development training. It’s a strong, convenient, and high-value part of the learning and development mix. Here’s why.
1. Open-enrollment leadership development is flexible.
Organizations may choose from a menu of open-enrollment leadership programs to address specific issues, shifting investments in talent development as needs arise.
Or, a proven program may be routinely used as part of employee development — for example, all mid- to senior-level leaders might be sent to a program aimed at their specific needs and challenges (like our flagship Leadership Development Program (LDP)®, for example).
Your organization might send a handful of employees one year, and dozens the next, depending upon your needs at the time.
A key value of open-enrollment leadership development programs is that they provide executive education that accommodates the ever-changing needs of your organization.
2. Open-enrollment leadership development is complementary.
Various open-enrollment programs can fit together into a larger development puzzle. Sometimes leadership programs can aid a large-scale training and retention initiative, and provide a blend of online learning, virtual coaching, action learning, and in-person experiences to create a robust training program.
Or, maybe your organization kicks off a multi-year initiative to develop its first-time managers (e.g., with our Maximizing Your Leadership Potential program), while at the same time offering senior leaders of divisions or departments a chance to attend a program aimed specifically at the challenges typically faced at that level (like our Leading for Organizational Impact program, for example) — particularly since the individual development of senior executives ties directly to the company’s future direction and success.
Open-enrollment leadership development programs can provide key pieces in the structure of your organization’s larger development and retention strategy.
3. Open-enrollment leadership development is budget-friendly.
Many companies can’t dedicate resources to major development initiatives for all leader levels. Or they are doing in-depth custom work for just a select group.
Another value of open-enrollment leadership development programs is that they enable companies to offer talent development when they don’t have large budgets or in-house training resources, or need to fill gaps in their existing development initiatives.
Our Lead 4 Success program is a good example, offering an affordable, scalable way to develop the fundamental skills of leadership across a large, but key, population.
And remember, another way that investing in leadership development affects your budget: It also helps with your organization’s bottom line. Organizations that invest in leadership development have better bottom-line financial performance.
Open-Enrollment Leadership Training That Goes Beyond
The best open-enrollment leadership development programs include even more value. At CCL, we’re proud that our programs also offer:
- Broad scope, clear focus — We understand how leadership skills need to evolve and expand to meet changing conditions and to prepare for future challenges. At the same time, we’ve identified the skills critical for success at each level, so individuals — and organizations — can see faster results. Just match up the right learning at the right time for each leader.
- Relevant, proven, cutting-edge — We update and create programs in response to changes in the workplace and as new research findings and new best practices emerge. For example, our flagship Leadership Development Program (LDP)® is consistently ranked as one of the best leadership development programs in the world, reflecting a balance of consistent quality and ongoing relevance. An evaluation of the program found that LDP is clearly moving the needle in the 6 leadership skills most critical for middle managers.
- A space to learn — Whether your leaders participate in one of our in-person or virtual programs, new behaviors and techniques can be tried and tested in a safe and confidential learning environment. Participants have a chance to network and learn from others around the world. Many client organizations tell us that this “protected” time and space is essential for personal reflection and transformation. You really can learn leadership skills online and transform without travel.
- World view, global reach, client focus — Our open-enrollment programs are offered often, providing many choices to meet busy schedules and a range of client needs. Programs are typically in English, but often assessments and coaching are offered in many additional languages. All are facilitated by highly educated faculty and coaches from business, academia, and the nonprofit world.
- Highly personalized — Finally, in all our work, we provide a highly personalized experience, grounded in research-based frameworks and methods. That’s why our clients say the value of our open-enrollment programs is clear — and why attending them is a powerful learning experience that participants often describe as life-changing, career-making events.