Steve uses analytics to help leaders and organizations increase their effectiveness. Steve’s past work with Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) has involved CCL’s Global Trend Research of 25,000 Leader Challenges and launching CCL’s newest leader analytics offering called CCL Fusion.
Prior to joining CCL, Steve was a researcher with Design Interactive in Orlando, FL where he was principal investigator and/or technical lead of several U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. Department of Homeland Security research and development contracts. His research has been published in leading academic journals such as Journal of Organizational Behavior, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, and The Leadership Quarterly and has also been featured in media outlets such as Harvard Business Review, CNBC.com, Chief Executive Magazine, and Sydney Morning Herald.
Steve is the Manager of Leadership Analytics. In this role, he leads CCL’s experimentation with new analytic approaches and methodologies using internal and external data. He also provides services that help accelerate return on leadership development investment including CCL Fusion.
Areas of Expertise
Employee Engagement, Empathy, Feedback, Leadership Development Evaluation, Leader Assessment
Ph.D. in Industrial/Organizational psychology from Florida Institute of Technology
M.S. in Industrial/Organizational psychology from Florida Institute of Technology
B.A. in Psychology and Political Science from the University of Connecticut
Professional and Community Affiliations
Steve’s professional affiliations include Society for Industrial Organizational Psychology (SIOP) and North Carolina Industrial/Organizational Psychologists’ Group. He is also on the board of directors of the YWCA of Greensboro, NC.
Select CCL Publications
- Using Predictive Analytics to Drive More Effective Leadership Actions
- Give Your Leaders A Developmental Edge: The Power of Digitally Enabled Assessments
- Problem Employees: Identify and Manage Them Before They Impact Your Business and Career
- Busting Myths about Feedback: What Leaders Should Know
- CCL’s Global Trend Research of 25,000 Leader Challenges
Steve has contributed to more than 40 publications in academic journals, business magazines, and white papers. He has developed surveys and assessments, training curricula, leader analytics products and solutions, facilitated leadership workshops, and evaluated leader development programs. He has also presented his work at over 40 conferences, workshops, and invited talks.
Select External Publications
- “I feel your pain”: A review of the literature on empathy in organizational behavior
- How empathic concern helps leaders in providing negative feedback: A two-study examination
- Holding Leaders Accountable During 360⁰ Feedback
- Marrying Personality and Job Resources and their Effect on Engagement via Critical Psychological States
- How Displaying Empathic Emotion may Differentially Predict Likelihood of Derailment for Male and Female Leaders in Australia
Honors, Awards, and Grants
- Awarded Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Phase I, Principal Investigator, $80,000 USD, October, 2015.
- Awarded Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Phase I, Principal Investigator, $80,000 USD, July, 2015.
- Journal of Management Development Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2015.
- Top 5 Poster Presentation at IOOB conference in Orlando, FL, 2012.