Prior to joining CCL, Sophia’s job mainly focused on research and teaching in the field of organizational behavior. The research findings were published in prestigious academic journals and/or presented in top-tier conferences. Sophia had three years’ teaching experience in the Department of Management and Organization, NUS Business School.
Sophia is a Senior Research Faculty at the Center for Creative Leadership. She is based in CCL’s APAC office in Singapore and work in the Global Research and Evaluation team. Her work focuses on conducting research about leadership and leadership development in specific sectors, regions and populations in order to make significant contributions to the understanding of leadership and leadership development.
Sophia is a core member of the Asian Women Initiative and Network (AWIN) team that focuses on supporting the development of women and girls. She is also involved in the design and delivery of some leadership workshops and programs.
Areas of Expertise
Coaching & Mentoring, Cross-Cultural & Global Leadership, Diversity & Inclusion, Work & Life
Ph.D. from National University of Singapore; B.A. in Economics from Fudan University
- Associate instructor in SIM University, Singapore
- Certified consultant by Polarity Partnership
- Certified in the CCL suite of assessments, and the Influence Style Indicator (ISI)
- Member of Academy of Management (AOM)
- Member of International Association for Chinese Management Research (IACMR)
Select CCL Publications
- Queen Bee Syndrome: The Real Reason Women Do Not Promote Women
- Managing Paradox: Blending East and West Philosophies to Unlock Its Advantages and Opportunities
- Creating a Dynamic and Sustainable Talent Ecosystem
- Interpersonal Savvy: Building and Maintaining Solid Working Relationships
- A Leadership Gap Analysis for Chinese Leaders from a 360-Degree Survey
Select External Publications
- The Long Arm of Job Insecurity: Its Impact on Career-Specific Parenting Behaviors and Youths’ Career Self-Efficacy
- Zhao, X. & Li, P. P. (2016). New Perspectives on Paradox Balancing Based on Eastern Epistemology, paper presented at Academy of Management (AOM) Annual Meeting, Anaheim.
- Wang, P., Zhao, X., Foo, M. D. (2013). Leaders’ self-report mentoring support and employee motivation: The moderating effect of assertiveness and power distance, paper presented at Academy of International Business (AIB) Annual Meeting, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 6 Barriers Womens Career Advancement
- Zhao, S. (2013) Cover story: Building a successful leadership pipeline: Why succession management is key? Human Resources, The official journal of the Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management. July/August: 8-15. (In both English and Mandarin)
- Women Leadership in Asia
- Coaching in Organizations
- Leadership in Family-Owned/Influenced Companies