With twenty-nine years of experience working at the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL), Jean has made numerous contributions in the areas of research, publication, product development, and training. She was one of the first staff members to conduct a cross-cultural research project and to publish findings of this research for the practicing manager (A Look at Derailment Today: North America and Europe, CCL, 1996; A Cross-National Comparison of Effective Leadership and Teamwork, CCL, 1997). Jean’s cultural interests led to a role where she was responsible for translating, adapting, and validating CCL assessment instruments for use outside the United States. In addition to her interests in international research, Jean has developed an expertise in 360-degree feedback. She is a co-author of the Center’s flagship 360-degree feedback instrument, Benchmarksâ and more recently co-authored CCLs newest organizational assessment, The Leadership Gap Indicatorâ. Jean served as an instructor of CCLs Assessment Certification Workshop and Emerging Leaders Program.
Jean is a Senior Fellow and Director of Strategic Initiatives. In this role, she develops, oversees, and helps implement programs, projects, and processes that support Global Research and Evaluation vision and short- and long-term plans.
Areas of Expertise
Polarities, Virtual Teams, Women’s Leadership, Goal Setting, The Leadership/Talent Gap, Political Skill, 360-Degree feedback, Derailment
M.A. in Sociology from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro; B.A. in Sociology from Elon University
Jean is a member of Academy of Management.
Select CCL Publications
- Managing Paradox: Blending East and West Philosophies to Unlock Its Advantages and Opportunities
- Accelerators: Critical Competencies for Women Leaders in Retail and Consumer Goods
- The Leadership Gap: What You Need, and Don’t Have When it Comes to Leadership Talent
- Change Now!
- Leadership Gap Indicator™
Jean has published more than 90 pieces on leadership, assessment, and feedback — in the form of peer-reviewed articles, popular-press articles, book chapters, and books. Jean has also presented over 70 papers at professional conferences such as Academy of Management and the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychologists.
Select External Publications
- An Examination of the Relationships among Self-perception Accuracy, Self-awareness, Gender, and Leader Effectiveness
- Why Executives Derail: Perspectives across Time and Cultures
- Political Skill as an Indicator or Promotability among Multiple Rater Sources
- Trouble Ahead: Derailment Is Alive and Well
Honors, Awards, Grants
- Awarded SHRM Foundation Grant, principle investigator, 137,650 USD, 2014-2016.
- Special Recognition Award by the Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association (HBA) Annual Conference Content Committee, 2015.
- The award acknowledges the importance of the research to the healthcare industry; the practical, actionable information provided; the uniqueness/originality of the display; and overall value to the conference.
- Named Senior Fellow at The Center for Creative Leadership, 2007.
- Awarded Singapore Economic Development Board research fund, principle investigator, 143,000 USD, 2006.
- Awarded the Best Symposium in the Management Education and Development Division, Academy of Management, 2002.