With over 30 years of experience in the field of leadership development and over 75 publications, Marian is widely regarded as a thought leader in the field. Her particular areas of expertise include the career development of women, work-life integration, leadership diversity, and the role of well-being in leadership development. She has worked with a diverse array of colleagues and clients from around the globe conducting both original research and bringing into CCL the best of what the larger field of leadership scholarship has to offer.
Marian has published in many peer-reviewed journals such as the Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Journal of Management and the Academy of Management Journal. She is co-author of Standing at the crossroads: Next steps for high-achieving women and co-editor of The Center for Creative Leadership Handbook of Leadership Development and Diversity in work teams: Research paradigms for a changing workplace. This body of work is widely cited.
Marian’s research has been utilized in a variety of formats including training programs, coaching processes, workshops, keynote addresses, articles for the popular press, as well as serving as the basis for psychological assessments. Her work has been applied to a variety of contexts, populations, and environments.
In addition to her own research, Marian has held many leadership roles at the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL®), helping to develop our research faculty.
Marian is the Director of Research Horizons and a Senior Fellow. In this role, she directs the Center’s research agenda on leadership and helps to bring knowledge from the larger field back to CCL. She encourages the innovative work of both early career researchers and distinguished social scientists. In addition, Marian conducts her own research and writing on the topic of leadership development.
Areas of Expertise
Leadership, Careers, Neuroscience as Applied to Leadership, Holistic Leadership Development, Women’s Leadership, Positive Psychology, Diversity
Ph.D. in Organizational Psychology from University of Michigan; M.A. in Organizational Psychology from University of Michigan; B.A. in Psychology from Cornell University
Marian is a Fellow of Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology and a Fellow of the American Psychological Association. She is a member of Academy of Management and an Associate Member of Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence.
Select CCL Publications
- Leadership Development Beyond Competencies
- Standing at the Crossroads: Next Steps for High-Achieving Women
- Worklife Indicator
- Handbook of Leadership Development 3rd Edition
- Sleep Well, Lead Well
An active writer, Marian has contributed to more than 75 publications on leadership development in top academic journals, books, white papers, and articles in the popular press. In addition, her work has been cited in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Chicago Tribune and Fast Company. A well-known thought leader in the field of leadership development, Marian is a regular speaker at professional conferences and has worked with a wide range of organizations including large multinationals, hospitals, non-profits, and government offices.
Select External Publications
- Work-Nonwork Boundary Management Profiles: A Person-Centered Approach
- Commitment to Family Roles: Effects on Managers’ Attitudes and Performance
- The Challenge of Leading on Unstable Ground: How Triggers Activate Social Identity Faultlines
- Managerial Motivational Profiles: Composition, Antecedents, and Consequences
- Benefits of Multiple Roles for Managerial Women
Honors, Awards, Grants
- Named Fellow at Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2012.
- Named Fellow at American Psychological Association, 2012.
- Named Senior Fellow at the Center for Creative Leadership, 2009.
- Awarded the Excellence in Research-To-Practice Citation, ASTD, 2004.
- Dorothy Harlow Award Finalist for Excellence in Research, Women in Management Division of the Academy of Management, 1990.