Every day, you and your colleagues in Human Resources or Learning & Development successfully orchestrate internal leadership programs, initiatives, and partnerships. You sift through countless new offerings and ideas that may — or may not — align with your training goals.
But your team is also staffed with skilled people who are steeped in the talent needs of the business. Internal leadership development can upskill your people and help you retain critical talent by using the HR team that you already have in-house.
If you’re not making the most of your in-house leadership development training expertise, you’re probably missing out.
4 Ways to Strengthen Your In-House Leadership Development Training
The most effective Learning & Development approaches include a blend of internal leadership development expertise and external support. As you consider how you will scale leadership development for maximum impact at your organization, consider these 4 strategies to make the most of your HR department’s in-house leadership development training expertise.
1. Do a talent review.
Take a fresh look at your people. Is talent getting pigeonholed into certain roles or tasks? As you start to map out the learning agenda for the next year, next cycle, or new initiative, consider ways to draw in a different mix of people, increase employee engagement, develop your high-potentials, and secure your leadership pipeline.
This process can be part of employees’ personal development and career planning, as well as a strategy for maximizing the talents of your team while upskilling leaders at your organization. The chance to lead a session for new hires, mentor a high potential, or develop a blended learning program for first-time managers could be just what someone needs to be re-energized and more engaged in their role.
- Elevate the role of your HR team and use 360-degree feedback assessment data for insights about your organization’s talent and the business. Identify your people’s strengths, opportunities, and gaps with our industry-leading suite of 360° leadership assessments and get valid, reliable, and actionable data you need for development at all leader levels.
2. Extend your internal coaching capability.
Coaching continues to be a growing and valuable way to develop talent. Some HR pros have extensive training and experience with coaching; many others don’t. But it often falls to HR to coach a struggling high-potential or a high performer whose abrasive style is causing problems.
HR staff linked to business units also have the opportunity to coach as they work day-to-day with operational team leaders. And these managers may look to you for guidance as they try to have talent conversations with their own employees. It’s often said that training your people to give feedback often and well is a quick way to immediately improve your talent development.
Outside coaches remain valuable (and are at times preferable), but creating a robust coaching capacity by building coaching skills in-house is a wise move for any HR function.
- Our Better Conversations Every Day™ program can help you elevate your entire organization’s culture by improving the quality of conversations across the enterprise, from the front desk to the corner office. We can deliver this scalable coaching skills training — or your internal team can, with our licensed train-the-trainer option.
3. Leverage your facilitators.
You probably already have experienced facilitators who know your organization. They’re in various roles — and might not even be part of the HR department. As you look at your internal leadership development capacity, don’t overlook the value of people who can lead events, discussions, workshops, and training sessions.
We’ve worked with countless HR professionals and consultants who are skilled in facilitation and group dynamics — and are looking to bring world-class, research-backed leadership insights to more people in the organization.
- Our Lead-It-Yourself Workshop Kits enable HR professionals or experienced team leaders to scale up internal leadership development in simple, pre-packaged modules on a variety of topics. These provide everything you need to host a virtual or in-person leadership skills workshop so that you and your colleagues can deliver our proven, world-respected content to your people, wherever they are — live online or face-to-face — with no certification required.
Empower your employees to win big in 2021 with proven solutions, scalable options, and affordable development.
Use the power of 360 feedback to identify strengths, opportunities, and gaps — then develop your team through engaging, skill-targeted workshops.
Get a special promo code and redeem this offer to support your internal leadership development initiatives today!
4. Focus on making learning stick.
Learning is a process, so take another look at ways your HR team can support and extend learning into day-to-day work. Our 3x3x3 model for learning transfer helps HR leaders map out the elements that factor into leadership development efforts, including many that are already in your hands.
Because different types of learning networks help employees apply and integrate new ideas and practices, you’ll want to leverage virtual and social learning tools to increase accountability and foster the internal connections that fuel learning.
Accountability partners, learning partners, mentors, and managers can all play a role. Gamifying your digital learning experiences can also increase engagement and completion rates.
- Your HR team can make a major impact on the organization by ensuring its largest population of leaders, the frontline managers, are well-supported. They are typically the least experienced tier of leadership, and frontline managers may need help in developing critical skills needed to succeed. Our social and gamified digital learning experience, Frontline Leader Impact, is specifically designed to provide scalable development for this population of managers.
Ready to Take the Next Step?
We understand the challenges that HR professionals like you are facing when crafting internal leadership development initiatives, and can support your in-house leadership development training with our suite of leadership development tools and training materials.