Start with the imperative to develop next-generation leaders, add the pressure to do it efficiently, and then kick it up a notch by mixing employees from 16 countries into the same experience. A partnership between Xerox Corporation and the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL®) has taken this complex challenge and turned it into a recipe for success.
The Xerox Emerging Leaders Program (ELP) is a five-month program that blends face-to-face sessions, Web-based learning platforms, online assessment, personal executive coaching and internal mentoring. Originally developed for Xerox’s North American operations, ELP got it’s start in 2001 when Xerox challenged CCL to create a program that would prepare a pool of up-and-coming employees for leadership roles. Xerox also sought to develop more people, more efficiently by using leading-edge learning technology.
- Identify the skill set and experiences needed for effective leadership in the digital economy.
- Build a pool of leaders who are equipped to manage complex problems.
- Prepare employees for participating in cross-functional, cross-cultural, and geographically dispersed teams.
- Overcome time zone differences and language barriers to prepare a new generation of leaders.
- ELP projects are helping reduce costs, improve quality and deliver better service.
- Participants gain an appreciation for the complexity and diversity of the organization.
- Improved communication and teamwork skills translate to meaningful leader development.