CCL in the News
CCL executives, researchers and faculty members regularly receive prominent media coverage worldwide. Among the media outlets that draw on their expertise:
CCL CEO John Ryan has written a dozen columns on topics ranging from driving growth and leading innovation to managing leadership stress and leading with the heart. Access all of them here.
Chief Learning Officer
- Stephanie Trovas and Richard Walsh explore 7 Ways to Support Functional Leaders
- David Dinwoodie Explores Leadership Development Strategy for CLO.com
- Senior faculty member Chris Ernst talks about his new book, Boundary Spanning Leadership: Six Practices for Solving Problems, Driving Innovation and Transforming Organizations.
Conference Board Review
CCL senior vice president Bill Pasmore explores the importance of aligning leadership development with long-term business strategy: View Article
In the newspaper's 2011 special report, CCL ranked among the world's Top 10 providers of executive education for the 10th consecutive year, completing a decade of excellence in this prestigious survey. CCL is the only institution in the world to earn a Top 10 ranking in the open-enrollment category every year since 2002.
- In February 2011, CCL senior faculty member John McGuire and KONE Americas leader Vance Tang explore why it pays for businesses to "slow down to power up."
- In this January 2011 column, CCL senior faculty member Harold Scharlatt looks at "How to Influence When You Don't Have Authority."
- CCL's Cheng Zhu explores leadership wisdom of Chinese CEOs in a January 2011 article where Chinese leaders reveal three perspective-taking practices that are essential for leading change.
- In this November 2010 video, CCL senior faculty member Chris Ernst distills the key lessons from his new book, Boundary Spanning Leadership.
- CCL senior faculty member Kate Beatty explores "The Three Strengths of a True Strategic Leader" in this October 2010 column.
- Senior faculty member Laura Santana explores practical ways to navigate the cultural differences that can get in the way of effective leadership in a September 2010 article.
- CCL CEO John Ryan discusses "How to Leave a Great Legacy" in this August 2010 column.
- CCL senior faculty member Roland Smith offers tips on how to "Strengthen Your Talent Pipeline Now" in this July 2010 piece.
- CCL senior faculty member Wayne Hart offers "Seven Ways To Be An Effective Mentor" in this June 2010 column.
- CCL experts Jean Leslie and Bill Gentry explore the six areas that politically skilled leaders must master in a May 2010 article.
- CCL senior faculty member Candice Frankovelgia examines "The Key to Effective Coaching" in this April 2010 column.
- CCL CEO John Ryan Shares "Four Big Ways Leaders Exercise Judgment" in this March 2010 piece.
- CCL's Bill Pasmore explores four key questions for building a leadership strategy that aligns with business strategy in a February 2010 article.
- In a January 2010 article, CCL's David Horth Explores the Keys to Leading Innovation: Truly innovative leadership means fostering new thinking and collaboration that produces new business opportunities.
Harvard Business Review
Human Resource Executive
Senior faculty member Sylvester Taylor discusses the growing leadership gap in many organizations globally.
MIT Sloan Management Review
CCL senior faculty member Chris Ernst and Donna Chrobot-Mason of the University of Cincinnati discuss how to lead across hard boundaries in a flat world.
Who Makes a Good CEO? Bill Pasmore Weighs in on Viewpoints.
The Wall Street Journal
The Washington Post
- Reflecting on the revolution in Egypt in February 2011, CCL CEO John Ryan examines the impact of social media on leaders. His conclusion: Authenticity and collaboration are now more important than ever.
- In this February 2011 column, CCL CEO John Ryan explores the leadership flaws of Egypt's former ruling class.
- CCL CEO John Ryan nominates Salt Lake City kidnapping victim Elizabeth Smart as his Leader of the Year for her courage, perseverance and authenticity in this December 2010 column.
- "Spending time with my five grand kids always reminds me that children are great mimics. Spending a few minutes with the daily newspaper reminds me that adults are too--and often with far less charming results." In the December 2010 article, CCL's CEO John Ryan weighs in on when top talent behaves badly.
- There's a saying that culture eats strategy for breakfast — and GM's leadership culture nearly ate it alive for three reasons: complacency from previous success, too many silos and a very dangerous case of short-termitis. In this November 2010 article, CCL's CEO John Ryan discusses how GM's culture ate its strategy.
- In this October 2010 piece, CCL CEO John Ryan explores why we need more politicians who actually say what they think and act on it.
- CCL senior faculty member Clemson Turregano reflects on the leadership lessons we can learn from General Stanley McChrystal's resignation in a June 2010 article.
- President Obama has called on federal agencies to prevent terrorist attacks by getting better at "connecting the dots." CCL senior faculty member Bill Adams discusses the leadership skills and training needed to make that happen in a February 2010 article.
- In a January 2010 article, CCL senior faculty member John McGuire critiques the shortcomings of U.S. political leadership — and calls for a new model, already successful in the corporate world, that favors interdependence over conflict.