Bio - Charles J. Palus
Charles J. Palus
Charles J. (Chuck) Palus is a senior faculty member in Research, Innovation & Product Development at the Center for Creative Leadership. As a collaborator in several cross-disciplinary research groups he studies leadership as a collective social process, with the key question: In what ways does a shift in perspective—from leadership as the capacity and actions of individuals, to leadership as a collective social process—yield better results for leaders, groups, teams, organizations, partnerships, coalitions, and communities?
He is co-founder and manager of CCL Labs, a community-based innovation laboratory that prototypes products such as the Leadership Explorer tools including Visual Explorer; Leadership Essentials; and the Early Leadership Toolkit.
Chuck is a designer, facilitator and researcher in the CCL Organizational Leadership practice and is one of its co-founders. He plays similar roles in the emerging Societal Leadership practice area. Programs he has co-designed / facilitated include: Leading Creatively; EdgeWork; Facing and Solving Complex Challenges; Transforming Your Organization; Boundary Spanning Leadership; and Leadership for Societal Impact. He is a passionate contributor to the Leadership Beyond Boundaries initiative for democratizing leadership for societal impact.
He has been published widely, including in Leadership Quarterly, the Handbook for Teaching Leadership (Harvard Business School), the CCL Handbook of Leadership Development, the CCL Handbook of Coaching, and the Change Handbook. He is co-author of the award-winning book The Leader?s Edge; and of Making Common Sense: Leadership as Meaning-Making in a Community of Practice.
Prior to coming to CCL Chuck was a research & development engineer in polymer products for the DuPont Company; a water engineer for Vaponics; an instructor for the Hurricane Island Outward Bound School; and he taught social psychology at Boston College.
He received his BS in chemical engineering from Pennsylvania State University and his PhD in developmental psychology from Boston College.
Chuck and his colleagues blog, and support users, at:
- Leadership Strategies for Societal Impact
- Developing Network Perspective
- Developing Interdependent Leadership
- Transforming Your Organization
- Direction, Alignment, Commitment: Toward a More Integrative Ontology of Leadership
- Artful Coaching
- Mediated Dialogue
- The Visual Explorer Guide
- Visual Explorer in The Change Handbook
- The Leadership Metaphor Explorer Guide
- Knowledge Art: Visual Sensemaking Using Combined Compendium and Visual Explorer Methodologies
- Interdependent Leadership in Organizations: Evidence from Six Case Studies
- Evolving Leaders: A Model for Promoting Leadership Development in Programs
- The Leader's Edge: Six Creative Competencies for Navigating Complex Challenges
- Enhancing 360-Degree Feedback for Senior Executives
- Making Common Sense: Leadership as Meaning-Making in a Community of Practice
Webinars & Podcasts:
- Visual Thinking for Effective Leadership
- Video introduction to Visual Explorer | Leadership Explorer Tools
- Visual Explorer: A Tool for Making Sense of Complex Organizational Challenges Using Creative Dialogue
- Needed: A New Way to See