Leadership Gap Indicator - Overview
Identifying the Gaps in Leadership Strength and Development Needs
Leadership Gap Indicator is a team and organizational assessment designed to help the organization identify the effectiveness of current leadership skills and draw attention to leadership gaps that may exist. It provides organizations with a tool for evaluating managers' opinions about development needs.
Developing effective leadership in an organization involves identifying the current organizational leadership skills and how they relate to current and future success. Identifying the gaps in the organizational leadership capacity is fundamental to knowing where to focus development efforts.
- Discover the specific leadership skills essential to the success of your organization
- Understand which set of competency areas, unique to your organization, are most important now and in the future
- Recognize the leadership competency gaps that need to be addressed
- Diagnosis talent training needs
- Features the Leadership Gap Indicator standard model of scientifically developed leadership competencies and derailment factors
- Option to customize the model by choosing from the Leadership Gap Indicator library of over 50 competencies
- Designed to collect feedback on managers' opinions on the importance of leadership competencies for success now and in the future, and the abilities of their peer group to perform them.
- Internet-based administration and data collection
- Features the Leadership Attention Index that prioritizes the leadership gaps
- Development planning section of the feedback report includes suggestions to close the leadership gaps and is customized to the results
- Results can be reported by sub-groups based on respondents' demographics, such as level and years of service.
- Available in English and French
Frequently Asked Questions
What exactly is a leadership gap?
A "leadership gap" is a shortfall between current and forecasted leadership capacity. Even though the term leadership gap has been part of the business vernacular for years, organizations continue to struggle with the critical challenge of identifying, selecting, and developing leadership talent. Data provided through the Leadership Gap Indicator can help to organize the call to action.
Is Leadership Gap Indicator a 360-degree assessment?
No, it is a team and organizational assessment and not a 360. Think of it as an employee opinion survey based exclusively on research about crucial leadership skills in organizations, and which ones are insufficient for meeting current and future needs.
Do I need certification or special training to use the Leadership Gap Indicator?
No. People who want to use the Leadership Gap Indicator should read the User's Guide to better understand how to use and interpret the report. The User's Guide is provided at purchase.
When is it best to use Leadership Gap Indicator?
When the organization needs help with talent management and large-scale diagnosis of training needs.
Can I customize Leadership Gap Indicator?
Yes. The Standard Survey Model includes 20 leadership competencies and 5 derailment factors. These competencies were selected because they have been psychometrically examined across a broad range of managerial levels, organizational settings, and cultures. However, increasingly organizations want information that is unique and specific to their strategy and model of effective leadership. To facilitate this, you can configure the survey model by choosing from CCL's Leadership Gap library of 56 competencies.
Do managers know their peers well enough to rate their skill level?
Yes, they do. One of the survey questions asks how well managers know the peer group they are rating. Responses to this question from 2,670 managers from five countries working in 15 different companies in the IT and financial service sectors indicate that 97% of managers knew the group quite well or extremely well. In aggregate, CCL believes the ratings will be an accurate representation.
For more information, please contact:
+1 336 545 2810 (Worldwide)
+1 800 780 1031 (US or Canada)